With the New Orleans Citizen Participation Program model submitted to the City Planning Commission, discussion about the NOLA-CPP has increased. Not surprisingly, those who are critical of the NOLA-CPP have stepped forward, and the ensuing conversations have raised some issues that definitely merit consideration. At the same time, we need to be sure that NOLA-CPP advocates are making their views heard, and that we are all on the same page in our advocacy. Therefore, we would like to convene a meeting of NOLA-CPP stakeholders on Wednesday, October 13, from 6:00 to 7:30 PM. The three main topics will be:
– Discussion of points raised about the model, and potential modifications to the model in response (see below for additional details). As part of this, we welcome comments you may have heard as you have discussed the NOLA-CPP in your community.
– Discussion of how we advocate for the model, including clear and accurate descriptions of the many benefits it offers our city.
– Discussion of continued outreach to inform the community about NOLA-CPP. While outreach to date has been extensive, there is always more we can do. And please be sure to let us know if you would like to have a presentation done in your neighborhood or community, and also if you would like to work with the project on the outreach.
A couple examples of input related to the model that we have received and would like to discuss include the following:
– Some neighborhood associations feel that requiring their board meetings to be open to their members is a problem. Could this be addressed by acknowledging that there may be times when neighborhood association boards need to be able to go into closed “executive sessions” to discuss sensitive matters like legal or personnel issues?
– There is a lot of concern about the requirement that neighborhood associations cannot charge mandatory dues. Can we find language that allows for mandatory dues, while still preserving the core principle of open access to the CPP for all neighborhood residents?
This is an exciting and critical time for the NOLA-CPP, and we hope you can join us for this conversation. We are tentatively scheduling the meeting for the CBNO – NPN offices at 4902 Canal Street, suite 300. However, our most recent meeting overflowed our meeting space here, and we may move this meeting to a larger location. Therefore, it would be very helpful if you could let us know if you plan to attend (though last minute arrivals are always welcome!). Please watch for meeting reminders that will finalize the location.
We look forward to seeing you on October 13!
The CPP team
Filed under: Uncategorized |